Friday, February 11, 2011

The Value of Cloth

We opened our first cheddar that I made with the new press.  It has holes in it, which is frustrating, but the flavor was so good.  It was mild, but it was a mild of a nice sharp flavor.  We assume this one will age very well, so we cut up half to eat now and re-waxed the other half to age longer.  I had to wax a colby anyway so it was handy.

I don't know why these cheese have holes in them.  I wonder if it's because the curds are a little too firm.  I'm going to try cooking them at a slightly lower temperature and see if they knit together better.

With six children ranging from three to nineteen, we have always kept clothes as kids grew out of them.  But over the years the clothes have gotten mixed up so I finally tackled the job of organizing them by size.  It was a big job and I need a rest.  Twenty one tubs later, I know where sizes are and where to put things away.

I have been quilting for most of my adult life.  Our neighbor gave us a bunch of flannel she got on sale but doesn't think she'll use.  We pulled out the ones we like the best and I found a relatively simple pattern.  It was good to smell the steam of the iron, feel the warm cloth, and run my fingers along seams.  For me sewing is almost meditative, and addicting.  I want to go back right now and keeping working on it!

People used to have few clothes but value them a lot.  Now we have so many clothes that most suffer from keeping track of them all.  Quilting is a nice retreat into the value of cloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment