Thursday, February 17, 2011

Eggs Are Back

Last night my sixteen-year-old daughter came in from putting the chickens away and said, "now I don't want you to get all excited or shriek or anything," and then showed me the basket full of thirteen eggs!  13 eggs!  That's an egg from every hen minus one.  Wow!  It was just over a month ago we were getting zero to two eggs a day.  Today we had scrambled eggs for breakfast.  I think I'll make a custard.

After that amazing day on Tuesday when we were digging out the stump wearing shorts to stay cool, a snow storm blew in.  It came in with hail and thunder, very dramatic, and settled into snow overnight.  At first I was discouraged with cold and snow again after such a beautiful day, but instead I'll think of that warm day as a little nod from God, "I remember summer, I'm bringing it."

The lettuce growing in the basement is finally big enough to harvest.  We had our first salad.  Because it's growing in potting soil, it probably is pretty thin on nutrients, but it tasted so good.  I wonder how many days we'll have wait for the next harvest.

Dedication to buying organic and fair trade has some challenges.  Right now it's baking cocoa.  It's hard to find fair trade chocolate for cooking that doesn't cost a fortune.  I found Frontier organic fair trade cocoa in bulk at a decent price.  We bought six pounds for $13.90/pound.  This should last us a while, maybe half a year or better, and we don't have to worry about going to hell for supporting child slavery to harvest our chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment