Saturday, February 19, 2011

Everyday Ketchup

We ran out of ketchup so it was time to make more.  I had no idea how easy ketchup is to make.  It's anther food mystery we've uncovered.

We stewed some tomatoes and onions for a while and then put them through a food mill.  Smooth sauce was left.  I boiled some cinnamon, cloves, and celery seed in vinegar and then let it soak while the tomato sauce continued to stew.  After straining the vinegar mixture, I put the pure liquid into the tomatoes, added some salt and sugar, and stewed it down.  It's the most flavorful ketchup I've ever had.

I was supposed to start another batch of plants two weeks ago, but I finally got them done today.  These are lettuce from seed we collected last summer.  I didn't keep the varieties separate so they are all mixed up, but in a month when they're ready to plant, we won't care.

I only collected a few seeds last year.  This year I want to do a better job saving seed and I'm intentionally buying only heirloom seeds.

We are filling up the frigs with cheese.  Today I made cheddar, our favorite.  After culturing and cooking the curd, they are pressed several times, getting turned and redressed each time. At first they are pressed at low pressure for only ten minutes.  Then a little higher for ten more.  Then higher for two hours.  And finally at 50 lbs. pressure for 24 hours.  This is after only the first pressing.  They stick together, but just barely.

No comments:

Post a Comment