Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Good Day

We got out the first cheese I made in the new press, a monterey jack.  It is a little more crumbly than we expected, almost a dryness to it, but the flavor is good.  I looked back in my notes and this cheese did get too hot in the curd cooking stage.

We suddenly have more milk in the frig than I expected so I'll make a colby today.  I'll be extra careful not to let it get too hot.

Just a month ago we were getting 0-2 eggs a day.  Now we are getting 5-7.  Plus, I found another bag of eggs in freezer, so we had scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Last summer we had eggs every morning and the kids complained.  Today they wolfed them down and begged each other for more.

The temperature has been low but the sun has been shining.  Yesterday when my husband and girls went out to fill the cows' water, jerky was napping in the sun.  My daughter grabbed the camera and got his picture.  One of my nine-year-old's is working on training jerky to ride.  She leans over him and slowly puts her weight on him.  Of course, the first time he just flopped on the ground, but today she got on him, sitting up, and he took several steps before she got off.

My husband spotted a recipe for pumpkin chocolate cheesecake in our favorite cookbook, Simply in Season.  Yesterday we made cream cheese.  Today we'll bake up some squash.

As I write this we have milk warming on the stove to become cheese, a roast in the crock-pot, squash in the oven with egg shells along side that we'll grind up and give to the chickens.  The older girls are downstairs doing their school work while the twins are at the table reading an Usborne science book.  The little one is helping his Daddy with laundry and then they will read some stories.  The sun is shining into the dining room and we are warm.  What a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment