Monday, February 7, 2011

More Food Than Wrapping

Saturday was warm and sunny so I finished a two-year project: pruning the grape vine.  This vine must have been planted 35 years ago when my in-laws built this house, and it seems like that's the last time it was pruned.  The trunk is big and the tangle of branches seemed endless.  Last year I got half of it pruned and gave up.  But now it is done!  

In an hour I had it cut back hard and ready to grow in a more humane manner. This is a table grape and they dehydrate into very sweet treats.  As I was pruning it seemed that several of the branches had established new roots.  If they start growing, I may dig them up and move them.

We have some herbs that have been drying and drying and it's finally time to do something with them.  I crushed up all the basil and got it in jars.  We definitely need to grow more next year.

I finally made that pumpkin chocolate cheesecake.  It turned out really good.  Actually, I like it better than regular cheesecake.  My husband had three pieces.  And the best part — the kids aren't all that enthusiastic so we might get more than one piece.

My daughter went to a dance and they needed me to chaperon.  As the kids were eating snacks with more wrapping than food and puts lots of energy into being entertained, I thought how different our life is.  We have more food than wrapping.  We have more love than posturing.  And what a wonderful life it is.  All I can think is that God must love us very much to call us to this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment