Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Crackers: Food Mystery

Living on our own cooking rather than boxes from the grocery store has lead to the uncovering of many food mysteries — like crackers.  I had no idea how easy crackers were to make.  I posted the recipe in Other Recipes if you'd like to try them.  These wheat crackers taste just like wheat thins, except better.  You can roll them out, but I used the pasta maker to make them all the same thickness and then score them on the sheet before they baked.  The kids sat down and ate all of them in one sitting, no kidding.

My almost ten-year-old twins (ten tomorrow!) are studying light and color.  Our main bathroom has no windows and makes a perfect dark room for light experiments. Here they are exploring translucence versus transparence.

Much of our life is very normal life with kids, often needing to do two things at once.  When the little one needs cuddling, you grab them, even while you're doing something else.  The blessing for me is that with the growing arm strength from all our hard work, I can hold our three-year-old while stirring.  I couldn't have done that a year ago.

The day is already full.  I started some cream cheese and sour cream.  Milk for yogurt is warming on the stove.  A cheddar is pressing.  We'll grate some mozzarella for pizza.  And we have a stump hiding just under the surface behind the barn in the garden that we need to start digging out.  It's supposed to rain, but we'll see if we can beat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment