Monday, February 21, 2011

Coping with Abundance

With egg production coming up, today we used the last of the frozen eggs.  I froze beaten eggs in one cup increments, 5 eggs each; they work perfectly in cooking.  Rather than letting this one thaw out, I thawed it in milk as it warmed up into pudding.

Now that we are through the "dry period" of eggs, we realize that next year we need to freeze more and put them where we can find them.  We had many slim weeks on eggs.  Then I found another two bags in the freezer with eight cakes in each.  Shesh.

Last Friday I helped on a girl scout sleepover with my twin's troop.  Milking went fine with us gone, but my husband didn't skim or pour any milk.  We got home Saturday evening and by Sunday morning there were twelve gallons of milk in the frig!  I got busy and today we are down to a respectable four.  I skimmed cream, poured drinking milk, sold two gallons, got a parmesan started, made pudding, started butter, and got this batch of fromage blanc going. It cultured overnight and today it drains.

Today my husband will make his first parmesan, with me looking over his shoulder. You may pray for marital peace.

Those little plants are growing like mad!  This being my first success with indoor plants, overgrowth is something new for me.  I could probably put these cabbages in the garden, they are pretty cold hardy, but the garden spot isn't ready.  I have a little outdoor greenhouse, more like a green-cubbie, that I think I'll put them in.  They should be able to wait there until mid-March when the garden is ready.

With most of Friday and all of Saturday and Sunday busy doing other things, today is a full day of catching up.  We are baking bread, making cheese, and cooking snacks.  It's the burden of abundance, but a what a wonder burden it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment