Monday, June 13, 2011

Quilt Sandwich

After four different drafts of how to do the quilt backing, we finally settled at this design and I got it put together.  In the past I've bought one huge piece of fabric for the backing, but in the spirit of using what we have, I used what we had, even thought it doesn't match perfectly.

Then we spread it all out on the carpet.  First the backing (right side down), then the batting (an organic cotton batting), and then the pieced top.  It has to be spread flat or else the whole thing will look goofy after it's quilted.  I used straight pins to anchor it to the carpet.

Then I started pinning the "sandwich" together with safety pins.  I pinned and pinned.

And pinned and pinned.

Finally, it was good enough.  After rolling the sides up, I set the whole thing in the sewing room ready for some hard core quilting on another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment