Saturday, June 11, 2011

Finally!

Planting has taken forever this year, or so it felt.  We got the last patch behind the barn tilled, furrows cut in and then the twins and I planted like mad until it was all done.  We put in grain corn, dry beans, five different kinds of squash, watermelon, gourds, and basil.  We left some space for kale this fall.  It was a long afternoon and I came in so tired that I was worthless the rest of the day.  I slept only because of God's blessing of Aleve.

The romaine lettuce that we planted several weeks ago (on the right) is starting to look really good.

Weeding is an every day activity now, but it's much  more manageable.  Each of us does a row and we're keeping on top of it.

We decided to extend the orchard and chicken run all the way back to the pasture.  So we haven't keep the weeds down, thinking that the chickens will take care of it as soon as the new fence is up.  The fence still isn't up but the weeds are.  The twins have taken advantage of those 3-4' weeds by mashing down an area for a "club house."  I remember doing stuff like this when I was little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment