Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Grain for Chickens

After the announcement that we were completely out of chicken food, we went to buy grain first thing in the morning.  We get wheat screenings, cracked barley, and cracked corn, and then mix them together.

The first step is just getting the 50-pound bags over to the barrels.  I think it's pretty amazing that my 10 year old daughter can handle these bags.

I also think it's amazing that my 16 year old daughter can manage two.  That's 100 pounds she's carrying!

All of us have noticed that we are getting strong from this daily work we do.  My husband thinks he the strongest he's ever been in his life.  He's probably right.

After getting them all carried out, then we poured half of one, half of another, and half of the last into the barrel.  Repeat.  It's not mixed perfectly, but we figure it's good enough.

The baby chickens are really eating a lot.  We went through grain much faster than I expected.  They are getting big and there are 78 of them.  They are seven weeks old and we expect they'll be ready at about 18 weeks, the middle of September. 

No comments:

Post a Comment