Friday, June 24, 2011

Finish Line Collapse

Last night my ten-year-old twins came running in, "Christina and beefy have bloat!"  I hurried out. One look at beefy and I could tell he was fine, but I wasn't sure about Christina.  I walked her while the twins ran for my husband.  After a few minutes of walking, we decided she just looked full, not bloated.  We are so sensitive right now.

Today we officially end the 2010-2011 school year.   Rather than bursting strong across the finish line, it feels more like stumbling and collapsing right on top of it.  We have gone straight for nine weeks and that wears us all out.  There is fun stuff in our curriculum, right up to the end, but I think we all get tired of it and just want to be done.

Now we have three weeks off before starting "next year."  We already have all the books sitting on the shelf and I get three leisurely weeks to get everything organized.  I enjoy this planning time the most, I think.  I get to go through new books, figure it all out, and set up the schedule.  Plus, nobody'll be asking me questions or to correct their work.  That's probably what I like the best.

My older daughters will be studying Christian history.  They'll be reading novels I know of, but have never read: Jean Eyre, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde, Pride & Prejudice, A Christmas Carol, Treasure Island.  Plus I'm swapping in some classic autobiographies: St. Augustine, St. Teresa of Avila, St. Ignatius Loyola, and Dorothy Day.  I wish I could read everything with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment