Saturday, December 10, 2011

Winter Work

With the wood insert, we now have to split wood. We could have used the ax, but neither my husband nor I were excited about the work, and we were nervous about someone getting hurt.  We found this hand-powered hydraulic tool that makes splitting easy.

So far I've successfully avoided using it myself, but sooner or later my husband is going to wise up.

Our winter evenings are full of finishing up garden harvest.  I've read about people a century ago spending all winter by the fire working on nuts, corn, and beans. Now I get it.  One of us reads aloud while everybody else works.

Here we worked on the dry beans.  Even our three year old helped.  He kept saying, "I'm doing my work," while dropping beans into his bowl.

When the beans are done, we have three kinds of corn that still need to be popped off the cobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment