Saturday, December 17, 2011

Homestead Christmas Candy

Some parts of living the homestead life require sacrifice, like store-bought candy at Christmas.  At least, that's what I thought.  As our candy-making skills have improved, my sense of loss has subsided.

Caramel is easy.  We've fine-tuned the recipe as we've figured out how to make it perfect every time.  Here is our recipe.

My ten-year old made some for her girl scout party.  As the girls were gobbling it up, she told them that it's made with cream that came out of a cow.  Americans really have internalized the idea that unless food comes from a factory there is something unsafe about it.  The girls hesitated, but then went right back to the caramel. 

We found a recipe for buttermints in my mother-in-law's 1950's cookbook.  They are much easier than we expected.  Mix one egg white, 2 teaspoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon mint oil, and 2 cups powdered sugar.  Shape into little balls, and set them out to dry.  My daughter made another batch that she rolled out on wax paper and then cut into tiny rectangles.  She liked those better.

Today we made our first batch of fudge.  Fudge has to be done right and I've had more failures than successes.  My friend showed me how last year and I wrote it down.  After cooking it, there is a stirring stage that can last a while and is *really* hard on your arms.  My husband and I took turns, waiting for it to turn from glossy to velvety.  One of us stirred and the other watched.  Finally, he called it and we poured.  It turned out absolutely perfect. The flavor is rich and the texture is smooth. 

Our next attempt will be almond rocca, but right now we're having trouble getting past the amazing candy we've already made.  Yeah, this is no sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment