Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Winter Harvest

This is our first year we planted for a winter harvest and so far so good.  We grew a variety pack of carrots last summer and then covered them in leaves when the weather turned cold.  The other day, I moved the leaves aside and dug out a good bunch of them.  Since they were old, I expected them to be a little woody, but they are sweet and crisp.

While I was out there, I dug some parsips and kale.   The mornings have been in the low teens but the kale is still doing great.  It's not strong flavored, but I do prefer it mixed with lettuce.  However, I'm just so happy for some fresh green right now.

These parsnips are over a foot long.  They'll be great in soup or roasted.  Today we put one of our chickens in the crock pot.  I'll bet these would be great thrown in to cook with it.

With Christmas coming, the caramel season is upon us.  My ten-year-old daughter made a batch of caramel and then arranged it on her favorite pretty plate.  They are were a round success at her girl scout party.  This is all we have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment