Saturday, December 31, 2011

Man-Cow Battle

We've been at this self-sufficiency thing for a couple years and we've had cows for most of that, but I still feel cow stupid. 

Jerky, Christina's calf from last year, is giving us problems.  We switched cows in the fields and now jerky is on the side where we bring in hay.  As the girls were delivering hay, he started head-butting and jumping around.  When he was little that was no big deal, but he's good-sized now.  It was scarey.  My husband was going to have none of it and they got into a man-cow battle.  Ropes were thrown, noses were kicked, men were knocked into the poop pile.  Finally, my husband conquered, but not before my daughters and I were put through fits, first distressed about my husband and then about jerky. 

That steer has roamed too long.  At the time it seemed fine, but now we realize the trouble we're in.  It's not safe for the girls to go into the pasture with jerky until we get him docile again, and that's going to take a while. 

We took halters off jerky and beefy several weeks ago (or has it been several months?) when we realized they had outgrown them.  The first step in getting jerky safe is to get a halter on him and let him have a few epic battles with the post.  For now, we'll keep him in the other pasture, out of the way. 

In the end, after all that battling, jerky and my husband did some subdued hugging and petting.  I think he'll be okay, but I also think I'll let my husband get the halter on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment