Friday, July 15, 2011

Wheat Harvest

The wheat isn't full yellow, but the book says that it should be cut when you can still dent the kernels with your fingernail but not mash them.  The kernels at the top have passed yellow and become brown.  They are so hard I can't dent them, but the bottom ones are still slightly green and mashable.  We decided to go ahead and harvest. 

I held the stalks while my daughter cut them off at the ground. It worked, but it was cumbersome.  I totally get the scythe now, which a person can use all by themselves and much faster.

My other daughter held the cut wheat to collect a bundle.  It was scratchy work, but essential.

When her arms filled up, we tied the bundles up tight.  The bailing twine from the hay was perfect.

When it was all done, we leaned our harvest up against the house to dry.  They need to dry for about two weeks and then we thrash them, knock off all the little wheat heads.  It looks pretty good.

After we were finished, I pulled up some big thistles that had been hiding along the fence and were about the bloom.  I threw them to the chicks and was surprised to see them swarm over the spent plants.  At least those nasty thistles make good chickie food.

No comments:

Post a Comment