Friday, July 8, 2011

Assigned Rows

Last summer, we assigned each of the kids (and ourselves) rows that we were responsible for weeding.  We hadn't gotten around to assigning rows for this season until a few days ago.  Then, this morning as I was walking in from milking, I found all four girls out in the garden weeding.  No asking, no whining.  They were just out there beating the heat.  Why didn't we do this sooner?!

Blanching has become an every evening activity.  Tonight it was peas and cubed turnips.  After shelling a big bucket of peas, I blanch them, bag them up, let them cool, and put them in the freezer.

When I got this blancher, I didn't even know what it was.  It was in my Grandma's things after she passed away.  It matched the canner she gave me, so I figured it had something to do with canning.  It was only later that I figured out what it was for.  You put water in the bottom kettle, and then the top piece strains out the water after the vegetables have boiled for 30 seconds.  It makes blanching so easy and quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment