Monday, July 11, 2011

Trellises

Here it is July and we are finally getting the green bean trellises put up.  My husband sank two posts and then screwed in a top bar.  My daughter and I ran twine from the top bar around a lower bar, held in place just by the twine.  It's not very sturdy, but it doesn't need to be.

After we got the strings all done, we helped the little green bean runners find their way. They are already several feet long, so it wasn't too hard to wrap them around the twine.  There is something about these wooden structures that makes the garden seem complete, although we only got half of them up.  Tomorrow it will look so nice.

It occurred to me that I wanted to start some seeds the first of July for a fall crop — Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and echinacea.  I put these out, nice and wet, in the full sun.  If it gets too hot, I'll bring them inside for the heat of the day.

We have one week left before we start our new homeschooling "year" with still a lot left to get ready.  I just love the beginning of new year, so many new books to look forward to, so many new interesting things to explore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment