Thursday, July 7, 2011

And Then There Were Fewer

This morning we headed to the front garden. It was way overgrown with weeds.  In two hours, with all of us working, we got the whole thing done.  It's amazing!  I wish we'd taken a before picture to show you, but here is an after picture.  We found all kinds of good stuff growing down underneath the big weeds.

Instead of tomato cages, this year we're trying to trellis the tomatoes.  I hate the way the cages flop over by the end of summer, and we have a lot of tomato plants.  We put up livestock fence down the row and now I'll try to train the plants up it. 

I think I just need to weave them in and out as they grow.  I added a few twist ties, just to get them over next to the trellis.

We have gotten so much weeding done this week, but it is taking its tole.  Bending over every morning and pulling hard for several hours has made my back stiff and my arms weak.  We have had fits and starts in weeding — getting lots done but then ignoring it so long they come back strong.  I think it's time to try a new approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment