Monday, May 30, 2011

I Pray They All Make It

Oh Good Lord. I just found some squash that has been thawing in the frig for a long time, maybe a few weeks.  It didn't smell bad so I cooked it up into three pumpkin pies.  Pumpkin pie is a multi-purpose food.  Plain it's breakfast or snack.  Add whipped cream and it's dessert!

This has been one of the coolest Memorial Days I can remember.  Today the rain finally broke and we put in a hard day in the garden.  It is time to get everything planted.  Every day we wait now reduces our yield.

One of us ran the cultivator down the rows to pull up the weeds, then another came behind with a hoe to put the row back together and take care of any surviving weeds.  Finally, I put seeds and plants in the ground.  We got the sweet pepper plants in, along with several marigolds.  I laid out the seed packets and got quite a few taken care of — pickling cucumbers, slicing cucumbers, radishes, zucchini, dry beans, flour corn, green beans, and squash.  We planted one section in the "three sisters," the Native American reference to corn, squash, and beans growing together. I've never done it so it will be fun to see how it turns out.

While we were out, my husband said, "have you looked closely at this wheat?"  Look what we found!  Seed heads.  There are lots and lots of them.

I pruned an apple tree that had a broken limb and took the opportunity to look over our fruit trees.  There are lots of baby fruits on those trees.  Oh, I pray they all make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment