Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The End of Weeds (well, some of them)

I tilled the front garden.  This area is high on one side so the flood irrigation leaves some parts dry and drowns others.  After tilling it, we used the scraper to pull some dirt from the top to the bottom.  After drying out overnight, we'll till it again and get furrows cut in.

There were some nasty weeds out there.  It was satisfying to watch the rototiller do them in.  Our well head is right in the middle of the garden area and is surrounded by healthy perennial weeds.  We need to deal with that soon, but other stuff comes first.

As I was tilling, I was able to admire the raspberries we put in last year.  They look healthy and are growing quickly.

I have had tilling on my to-do list for several weeks, but it always seemed too cold, too windy, or I was tired.  They say that part of the farming life is working when the weather is ready instead of when you are.   Having grown up in the city and working when it fit my schedule, it's a real effort to get moving by the land's schedule.  I wonder if people who grew up with this life have an easier time picking themselves up and going to work. This is one more lesson in living in the present moment.

Our full dairy day went well.  The hardest part for me is remembering to come back when I've started something.  At 10pm I remembered the fromage blanc and got it hanging for the night.  I remembered the "fresh" culture and got it poured into ice cube trays to freeze overnight.  The butter didn't need attention. But I forgot the romano and this morning discovered it had brined for 24 hours instead of 12.

This morning I mixed a little salt and whey into the fromage blanc until it was a spreadable consistency. This will be wonderful on toast with jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment