Monday, May 23, 2011

First Romano

After five months aging, we cut into our first romano.  We pulled out the knife and it did nothing on that hard rind.  Then we tried the electric knife.  Still nothing.  Finally we got the bone saw and slowly chewed our way through the block. 

It took alot of strength. My husband had to throw some body weight into it.  The flavor was pretty mild, which is a little disappointing after all that work, but we've noticed a big difference in our cheddar's flavor from the day we open it until two days later in the frig.  We're hoping this flavors-up too.  That block of cheese grated up to fill a gallon bag.  It's time to make pizza!

I finished the quilt top.  This quilt will be 90"x90".  I didn't mean to make the border so big, but after they were cut, the deed was done. I don't have enough of any one fabric for the back side so I might piece together two different ones, or maybe I'll look for a sturdy sheet for the backing.

After laying it out, my three-year-old gave it a test drive.

My teenagers do lots of talking about what they want.  Ok, they're complaining about what they don't have — things and leisure.  I remembering wishing similar things when I was their age, and suffering for lack of them.  Age and this life have taught me how I can have anything that is worth having because God has given me the strength and ingenuity to grow it or build it.  That's a powerful lesson that I hope my children will learn faster than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment