Monday, March 7, 2011

Long Winter

Yesterday morning, for the first time, it smelled like spring.  Every year I am hit by an awareness of spring and this year I've had to wait until March to feel it.  The last few weeks I've had to consciously remind myself that winter doesn't last forever (but what if this is the first time!!).   Of course, this morning we got up to snow and chickens hiding under their coop.


The cows have known spring is coming for a while.  Every day they spend more time out in the pasture. And every day they spend more time with their heads down, rocking rhythmically, presumably getting something to eat.

We have reason to believe that Christina is pregnant.  The time has come and gone for her to go into heat.  She had one day where she seemed a little more energetic than normal, moo-ed twice, and beefy tried to jump on her twice, but that was it.  We called the breeder guy and he said it's probably just a little blip of hormonal cycle that the pregnancy didn't fully suppress.  I hope so.

Our breeder guy seems like an old time agricultural fellow, knows his stuff but is quiet and humble.  He comes all the way into town for us.  Like many quiet fellows, his humor is dry.  When he bred Christina the second time, he said she gave him a look that said, "that's the ugliest bull I ever saw."  We've been laughing about that ever since. 

One of the few things I don't like about homeschooling is correcting work.  I seem to do it only late in the evening, partially because that gives the girls time to turn everything in, partially because it's quiet, and partially because I procrastinate.   Thinking through geometry proofs, chemistry rational, and essays while parts of my brain have already waved goodbye is somewhere between frustrating and painful.

A fever and head cold has been working through the family.  Right now it's got me in its clutches.  While waiting for spring, I'm also waiting for good health.  Waiting.  Waiting.

But I believe I shall enjoy the Lord's goodness in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord, take courage; be stouthearted, wait for the Lord!
 — Psalm 27:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment