Thursday, March 31, 2011

In the Garden Finally

It could not have been a more perfect day to get into the garden — sunny, warm, and a light breeze.

It began with my husband talking that tiller into working after its water dousing.  I'll bet he spent upwards of an hour pulling the string before it finally ran on its own.  That's pretty interesting stuff to watch, so our three year old got out a chair to watch (we helped with establishing the safe distance).

After all these weeks of waiting, the soil is finally turned.  It was pretty good, but some areas were still muddy.  We'll let it dry overnight and do a second tilling tomorrow and get things planted.

Being outside let's me see things and start new planning.  We decided to make a pig pen behind the barn and let the pig dig up all the weeds and fertilize the area.  This is where I want to put my strawberry patch.  I've read that if you want an area for a garden, just put a pig on it for a season and they will strip all the weeds, turn the soil over, and fertilize it well.

We also decided to extend the chicken pen to plant some more fruit trees and give the chickens access to the pasture.

What to do first?!  I know what to do first, get stuff planted!

No comments:

Post a Comment