Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Saving Squash Rewards

I came across a listing of how long different squash last in storage.  It said acorn squash only make it three months.  It's been almost three months!  My husband got down in the root cellar and pulled all of them out.  Many have turned yellow, which means that rot is next.  We'll cook these up and put it in the freezer.

It also said that you should turn the squash in the cellar every week.  Well, it's been a lot longer than a week, so since he was down there, he did some turning.  Every squash got a new position and most were fine, although a few had gone bad. 

The temperature is 42º down there, while it's been below freezing outside.  That's good. 

We need to get the root cellar into our regular habits.  I guess we need a day of the week for root cellar day, like trash day.  Hmm... I guess we'll start thinking.

It's not really ice cream weather, but it is pie weather, and pie with ice cream is pretty good.  There are a few things that we make from Christina milk that are absolutely unique and spectacular.  Ice cream is one of them.  We use the same old recipe, but it tastes like the best specialty ice cream we've ever had.  I can even forget the vanilla and it's still sensational.

After running through the ice cream maker, it comes out pretty soft.  We scoop it into a tuperware and freeze it hard.  Now it's time to make pie.

When we started this life we knew it was the right thing to do, for moral reasons.  I can't look into the face of the workers (some of them children) suffering from injustice so I can have my processed low-cost food.  I can't face my own children, years from now after decades of fossil fuel burning to transport my food an average of 1500 miles, suffering from a diseased planet.  But we didn't expect the eating to be so good.  Like many things in life, when you do the right thing, God rewards you.  This ice cream sure is a reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment