Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Done!

We got everything on the to-do list done yesterday.  That's not normal, and it wore me out.  I made mesophilic starter (which I use in cheese), butter, monterey jack cheese, and zucca bars with cream cheese frosting.   We got the last of the grain corn popped off their cobs and sterilized it by putting it in a 200ºF oven for a few hours.   My husband started sausage by mixing the ground meat with the spices and curing salt.   We got a full homeschooling day in and I cut my husband's hair.  And we moved hay.

For days we have been digging hay out of the "portable" carport and carrying it over to the cows.  We have an area in the cow shed for hay, but it's emptied out.  

It wasn't nearly as nice outside as the day before, cooler and overcast.  But the heavy work kept us warm.

Driving the baby tractor makes the work fun for my teenagers.  One drives and the other walks along to keep the hay from rolling out.  My husband, impatient to get it done, just carries the bales over one by one.  I think he's crazy.

We ran out of gas just as it started raining, so we called it done.  Maybe sixteen bales were moved over, enough for about three weeks.  Then we'll do it again.  A tractor with a bucket would make this easy work ...we are suffering from tractor lust.

We made frosting from our cream cheese for the first time.  It's just cream cheese and powdered sugar.  When I invited the girls to try it I expected complaints that it didn't taste "normal."  Instead they loved it.  Loved it!  We slathered it all over the zucca bars.  I thought it was way too much; everybody else thought it was just right (they now claim it was too little).

We have another to-do list made out for today, but failed to put "rest" on it.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment