Friday, January 21, 2011

Learning to Adjust

We got two eggs yesterday and we are happy!  Since the days have gotten dark our flock doesn't lay much.  We could put a light in the coop to get more eggs, but instead we're trying to live with God's design — chickens don't lay much in the dark.  Last week we went several days with no eggs or one egg.  That was hard.  Then we got four!  We were so happy.  I've learned to modify many of our recipes for fewer eggs.  Last summer when we were getting eight to twelve a day, I modified recipes to use more eggs.  This sustainable living means constantly adapting to the reality of the food God provides for us.

My husband is making a big batch of sausages he is calling chorizo.  He mixed the meat, spices, and curing salt three days ago.  Today he rolled them out into logs using wax paper.

He laid the logs out on roasting pans and dried them in the oven at 200ºF all day long.  The house is full of smell.  Each time he comes into the kitchen he said, "oh, that smells good."  Each time the girls and I come into the kitchen we say, "ugh, what is that smell?"

I made a monterey jack cheese two days ago and it bombed.  I tried cutting the curd in a different way but it didn't knit together well.  This time, I went back to my old way and things turned out better. But not perfect.  I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

We have been eating that jack that didn't turn out, with kids raving about how good it is.  It's so bland, but there is a hint of good flavor.  It is good to have a slicing cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment