Saturday, January 8, 2011

No Munchy Satisfaction

The problem with self-sufficient living is that you have to pre-plan for the munchies.  I want a snack and the cookie jar is empty. Our shelves don't have anything in little plastic trays or colorful plastic bags that I can munch on until the feeling passes.

Dang!  The hardest part of healthy eating, and self-sufficient eating, isn't meal time, it's mid-day when the munchies grip me.  I wander around, looking for something, not sure what it is, but sure that it's sweet.

Well, wandering won't change anything. I have to make something.  I so I whipped out my mother-in-law's old 1952 Betty Crocker cookbook and looked up shortbread cookies.  Don't those sound good?

So I mixed some homegrown, homemade butter with some fair trade, organic sugar.  I ground up some Idaho, organic wheat into flour and mixed that in.  When I rolled the dough out, it didn't hold together well, so I just squeezed together little balls.  After chilling in the frig a while, I slow baked them and now the cookie jar is full!

Well, it's full until the kids find out (actually, a daughter just looked over my shoulder at this photo and said, "aw, I wish our cookie jar was full," and like an idiot I responded, "I just took that picture").  I'm not the only one with the munchies.

No comments:

Post a Comment