Friday, November 11, 2011

Living by the Weather

Beginning this evening, it's predicted to rain and snow for the foreseeable future, which means everything that would suffer from being wet has to come in.

We picked the dry beans but they look more like soggy beans.  They probably should have been picked way earlier than mid-November.  This doesn't seem like very many to me; I think we still have a lot to learn.

Keeping seeds is an important part of the sustainable lifestyle.  I'm still learning a lot about keeping seeds, but things like marigold and lettuce are easy.  You just shake them out into a bucket and them store them in paper envelopes.

Since we butchered last Friday, we haven't had a single egg.  These chickens look full grown and they are old enough to be laying, but still nothing.  Today we'll search the pasture to see if they're laying in funny places.

Christina's due to calve next Wednesday.  We've already started watching her a little closer. Her udder still looks pretty small and loose so we figure it isn't imminent.  I'm not very happy that it's projected to rain for the next few weeks, which means we'll be dealing with a calf in crummy weather.  Praise God for their dry, clean shed.

The steers came over to say hi while I was out visiting.  Look at the size of these boys!  Beefy is about 18 months old and jerky will be a year old next Wednesday on Christina's due date.

I didn't want to work hard outside today.  I'm busy with other things, but the storm is coming, so we work.  Part of me resists and part of me is happy that God is setting the pace rather than the calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment