Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Back to Plants, Thank God!

We are back to plant matter, thank God!  Butcher day was hard on all of us. 

We've had several hard frosts and it's time for the winter squash to come in.  The first step is to let them dry well.  We filled two tables.  Now they'll sit in the sun for several days.

This year our winter squash harvest was probably half of last year's.  I might have planted less, but I also think the plants are really feeling the lack of fertilizer.  Skipping a year of adding manure was a *bad* idea.

Those tomatoes we picked over two weeks ago are ripening up nicely.  Tonight we get to enjoy a whole bowl of "fresh" tomatoes.  If we had put them in the root cellar, they'd ripen even slower and then we could have had "fresh" tomatoes at Christmas.  Maybe next year.

I'm watching this class on food and one of the topics was what makes a diet nutritious.  Many studies disagree, but all seems to concur that vegetables are good.  In an effort to increase our vegetable intact, we started eating dinner in courses.  First we eat veggies, fresh and cooked, and then we eat everything else.  So far it's working.

It's November and we are still working hard on the garden.  There are more things to harvest and seeds to collect and beds to protect, but it's cold and I just as soon sit in a comfy chair under a blanket.  Once I get out there, I enjoy myself, but I sure do procrastinate getting out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment