Monday, November 14, 2011

Is This Cow Pregnant?

We are nearing the end our milking vacation, we hope.  Christina is due to calve in two days.  Last year she calved two days early and her udder got huge before she calved.  But this time we haven't seen much udder swelling and now I'm wondering. 

We did the AI and left beefy with her for several months.  We don't think she went into heat again, but we didn't do a Vet check to confirm she was pregnant.   What if she never was pregnant or what if she miscarried?  That means we'd have to get her pregnant now and wait another 9.5 months until she calves before we see any milk.  She would become a very expensive pet at that point! 

Ugh.  So I'm nervous.  My daughters think her udder is beginning to swell, but it could be the way she is standing.  I sent my husband out to look at her.  Maybe she looks different to him.  While he was out there he swears he saw a calf move inside her.  Well, that's hopeful.

My daughter said that I should assume she's not pregnant and she'll be an expensive pet and then when the calf comes I'll be so happy.  She's probably right.  I should just not worry about it.  Nothing I can do about anything now.  It's just between God and Christina if and when the calf comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment