Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gentle Bursting

Today we got our first chili pepper harvest.  In this basket are serano, poblano, and jalapeno peppers.  I've never grown chili peppers before, so this is a new thing.  I have visions of chili powder for winter-time chili.  My husband is thinking salsa.  Whoever cooks first wins!

I did some searching on the internet on how to make chili power.  As best I can tell, you just dry them, snip off the stem, shake out the seeds, and then grind them up.  It says that drying in the sun takes about 2 weeks.

The tomatoes are really coming on.  This mountain was just from this morning.  Last year we didn't get many tomatoes, but this year they are growing so much better.  I'll wash these and put most of them in the freezer to make sauce later.  I might try drying some.

My husband is growing okra in the front garden.  I think okra is yucky, but he and the kids love it in jambalaya.  The flowers are beautiful.


Those celeries I planted way back on January 1st, have grown big and they look so healthy.  I put them in a part of the garden that is a littler wetter and a little shadier.  The plants are up to my knee and thick.  These stems looks wonderful.  I'm told that you don't harvest until after frost, so we'll keep an eye on them.

We're also growing celeriac, which tastes like celery but is grown for its bulb.  They are supposed to be easier to grow in hot climates like ours.  They are starting to bulb up nicely, although I wouldn't be surprised if the celery actually turns out better. 

It's September and the taste of fall is in the air, but the garden is gently bursting with harvest.  Every day calls us to the abundance God has waiting for us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment