Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Candy

Since we're not buying candy, we have to make it.  I found a recipe for old fashioned fudge in my mother-in-law's 1952 cookbook.  The first time I followed the recipe to the T, heating it up to exactly 234ºF, but the candy was too hard.  I tried again today but only took it up to 227ºF.  I left it on the counter to cool and was supposed to beat vanilla in it later.  When I came back, the kids had already gotten started and hadn't left much, so we'll just finish this out of the tuperware.  Maybe tomorrow we'll try again.

We found a recipe for Almond Roca in that old cookbook that doesn't look too difficult.  We might try that too.

After a day and a half, that cheddar cheese did meld together, but there are little cracks on the top.  It probably goes better if it's warmer than 60ºF when it presses.  I saw somewhere to put it in 100ºF water and then press again for an hour, so I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment