Friday, December 3, 2010

Blue Fries

We grew blue potatoes this year.  I thought they looked cool, but I dreaded the kids balking, "they're not the same as store bought!"  They can be so fussy.  Last night we ate our first ones as french fries.  It turns out that blue fries are not creepy.  The kids loved them!  They taste the same as regular to me, but they loved that they were blue.  They said we should grow more next year.  Praise God!

 Today we cook one of our own chickens.  I really like the beef that we bought directly from a guy here in the valley, but there is something so special about meat we raised ourselves, and butchered ourselves.  Chicken pot pie is one of the girl favorite things and with everything homemade, I think they are responding to it being food deliberately given them by God.

My mornings begin with one of my favorite tasks, skimming and pouring milk.  After milking Christina, and putting away the fresh milk to chill, I pull out all the milk from yesterday with risen cream.  We got four gallons!  I had labeled each jar with the date and "a" for am or "p" for pm.  There is something about the gentle skimming of the rich cream into the much more manageable half-gallon jars that I deeply enjoy.

At end we had 1-1/3 jugs of cream (center), three jugs of drinking milk (right), and a little more than two gallons of skimmed milk to use later (left).  Yesterday I made cottage cheese out of two gallons of skimmed milk, so we don't need more of that.  Maybe I'll make a parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment