Friday, March 9, 2012

Time to Plant?

The soil tilled, it's time to spread the compost.  This came from the cow shed and has been sitting in a pile for a year.  We feel that we can call it compost now because it has no cow-poopy smell.  Woot!

A box of nine trees arrived on our door step.  I had forgotten that I ordered them last fall, so we had a sudden tree planting afternoon.  The girls and their friends dug holes while I planted trees.  In only an hour we had them all in the ground. These are four peaches, two Jonathan apples, and three Jonagolds.

Spending some time out in the garden gave me the chance to notice a few things, like this rhubarb thinks it's spring.  Rhubarb is one of the first things to "wake up" and I love it. 

I read an article about "phenology."  It says that rather than plant on specific dates, to time planting to natural occurrences, such as plant peas when forsythia blooms.  So I checked out the forsythia.  It's budding out but no blooms yet.  It makes a lot of sense so I think I might try some of their suggestions this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment