Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 6

The grass is thickening and 2-1/2 inches tall.  I've read that the sprouts are grown 6-7 days, but I'd like to see them up at 5 or 6 inches.  We might wait an extra day.

Living sustainably means cooking sustainably which means starting from the basics.  My kids laugh when people put a box of this and a can of that together and call it cooking from "scratch."  We've learned to start with just the basic harvested food.

Today it was chicken soup.  We started by simmering three of our stew hens for a day and then stripped the meat off.  We ended up with quite a good pile and it wasn't tough or stringy.

Then we start adding stuff to the pot.  Some frozen chicken stock bumped up the flavor.  Grated zucchini, dry beans, and brown rice added robustness.  Onions, turnips, potatoes, and celeriac brought it together.  And then we added green beans because we have so many in the freezer.

Our method of add what we have makes for a different flavor every time we make soup.  This one turned out to be one of the best chicken soups I've ever had.  Thank God we've got so much of it.

Today is the first day of Spring.  The darkness and coldest of winter is something I grit my teeth and tolerate until it's over.  So spring has special significance for me.  God is bringing the sun back!

No comments:

Post a Comment