Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Morning Dragging

Our lettuce is up and growing!  This is seed I saved from last year but I didn't clean it up, so more seeds than we needed got into the pots.  I'll thin them soon.  My 10-year-old checked on them with me and said with a contented smile, "our garden is started."  The celery hasn't germinated yet but it takes a really long time.

Our mornings begin with the girls going out to feed the cows and clean the shed.  With the troubles we've been having with jerky, they decided that things were going to be different with pepper.  My daughter's been putting on a rope and walking him around.  Well, calling it "walking" is a bit of a stretch.  My husband looked out and said, "look, pepper's out for his morning dragging."

We are getting more and more excited about welcoming a second milk cow.  We are now certain about getting one so now the struggle is deciding which one.  We are down to an older cow who's currently giving milk and a young heifer who will have her first calf this fall and then start milking.    The pros and cons seem equally balanced right now, so we keep thinking and praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment