Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Garden is Coming On

The trellis is working well for the tomatoes, so far.  Every few days I've been walking through and gently pushing stems through so they weave as they grow.  The plants are upright and getting loaded with fruit.

This roma plant looks promising!  I just got a magazine with an article on canning tomato sauce, so I'll read that over soon.   In the past I've been frustrated at how long tomato sauce has to cook so I want to find a better way.

The cherry tomatoes have started coming on.  My daughters can eat cherry tomatoes as fast as they produce.  Every year I vow to grow more to satiate them.  I don't think I did enough this year.  But all of these clusters are promising.

The zucchini is doing its thing and going to town.  We still have zucchini frozen from last year.  I use it in soups all winter along, making them thicker and heartier. 

The other day my daughter said, "I love winter."  It's not too hot, so I wondered why she longed for the cold.  Then she explained, "there's no garden work."  OK, that I understand.  We are working hard and it will continue through November when the land goes to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment