Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Chickens Are So Easy!

With the lengthening days, our egg production is going up.  And these are young hens so they are laying like mad.  Our record so far is this basket of 38 eggs the other day.

I was thinking how easy chickens are, and then it occurred to me that it's because I do almost nothing for them.   Our 10-year-old twins are the chicken tenders.

They love the chickens.  They take any excuse to be with them.  If a chicken escapes the pen, I don't even have to mention it, they notice and drop everything to go cuddle the chicken.  Sometimes it gets brought to the door to get its picture taken.  Here is Merifeather, a Polish Bantam that is our only roster.

In the last batch of chicks, the twins got some pet chickens.  Here is Chirp, their little white Silkie.

The twins do everything with the chickens.  If one of the chickens isn't doing well, they run out, quarantine it in a little pen, give it food and water, and have nursed more chickens back to health than they have lost.
Their love for chickens means that they keep their water and food filled, they run after them when they need gathering, and they collect the eggs.  It also means that my camera comes in with bunches of surprise pictures of chickens. 

...like this one, which at least included my daughter...

... and this one of Anya, an Arucauna, on the fence.  And then when the photos download, I hear cooed over my shoulder, "oh, they're so cute!"

So I stand corrected.  I guess chickens are some work.  They're just easy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment