Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Soreness and Surprise

It's cool and rainy today.  It wasn't supposed to be and I had a long list of things to get done outside.  I'm not that disappointed that I have to stay in.

We harvested that surprise broccoli that had been growing on the back side.  Off only six plants we almost filled the harvesting bucket.  After washing them, I looked in the book on how to freeze broccoli.  It recommended soaking them in salt water for 30 minutes to eliminate insects.  Sounds good, so I did that.  Then it was pretty standard.  First I cut them into the sized pieces I'll want when they come out of the freezer.

Then I blanched them.  This old blancher was in my grandmother's things after she died.  It's a pot in a pot.  The inner pot has holes like a colander and nests nicely into the outer pot.  After bringing the water to a boil, I threw it a bunch of broccoli and let them go for three minutes.  After draining, I dumped them into another strainer to drain and started the next batch.  Finally, I dumped the drained broccoli into bags.

It took less than half-an-hour from start to finish.  In the end, we got about a gallon and a half in the freezer.  That's a lot of broccoli when I didn't realize we had any.

That broccoli will taste sweeter because it was a surprise.  And it's a blessing because I'm sore and it gave me something to do today without straining any muscles.

My body has been slow in learning this new lifestyle.  Raising food involves a lot of lifting and physical work.  My body is middle aged and not especially athletic.  Sore muscles have become a regular part of my life.  Last Friday we scooped cow pies and then Saturday I helped my daughter's girl scout troop pick apples, lifting quite a few heavy boxes.  My back is still sore.  But the rain has given me a respite, another day to heal and recover.  I pray that each time I suffer this soreness, God is using it to grow strength in my body so next time won't be as bad.  That's all I can hope for at my age.

No comments:

Post a Comment